torsdag den 29. november 2012

Birthday in Senegal

Yes, I have now lived for a quarter of a century, and it feels good! This year it was not only the number which was a bit special, but also the circumstances were quite unique. You never know what to expect when you celebrate your birthday far away from home. So I feel so lucky to have actually been celebrated all the way down here in Senegal. My roommate, Jojoh, her boyfriend, Cheikh and our neighbour, Marie were so very kind to take the whole day off to go with me to Île Ngor. It is a tiny paradise island less than a kilometre from the coast of Dakar. There are no cars, almost no people, and just palm trees and sunshine. We had to take a small pirogue to get there.




We spent the most lovely day relaxing in the sun, swimming in the clear sea and eating delicious food. How is that for a birthday in November?!

Jojoh and Cheikh in the water and Marie being a chicken

As dusk fell we found a pirogue to bring us back to the mainland. There we went for some drinks at a nice bar. Slightly tipsy, entirely relaxed and very content with my day, I returned to my chaotic neighbourhood ready to start off a new year in 'Cille-world' where ever that might take me.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar